Exciting new opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Engineer for a Global Medical Devices Organisation located in Dublin. With an established name in the healthcare sector, this company has a strong employer brand and exceptionally low attrition rates.
What is exciting about this Engineering position and makes it such a fantastic opportunity is the fact that the site just recently transferred to a next-generation product technology which has added to the manufacturing output for the site.
The role will require the incumbent to act as a technical lead and key decision maker in supporting both internal activities and key suppliers in the manufacture and design of medical diagnostic instrumentation. Providing product and process design solutions to enhance internal process capability and the performance of installed products at customer sites.
- A deep technical competency of mechanical engineering is essential with knowledge of electromechanical / automation design and a proven ability to design parts, assemblies, jigs, fixtures & test equipment is required. Familiarity in optics, biochemistry and/or statistics would be an advantage.
- Design and validate technical solutions to enhance product and process capability. Areas include:- design for performance, design for manufacture, design for reliability enhancement, performance tuning, test fixture development, cost reduction and product budgeting, component obsolescence, development of manufacturing assembly and test process, technology transfers, lean process development, field service support and customer satisfaction.
- Capability to analyze problems to root cause with a structured approach and fully develop solutions, including all associated planning and design validation activity. The incumbent will require an ability to work across a significant subset of the key technologies involved in modern instrumentation such as fluidics, molding, electro-mechanics, software, electronics, optics, machining, metal fabrication etc.
- Incumbent will be considered a local process owner, be able to develop and manage systems of metrics for manufacturing and projects. Complete systems analysis and develop projects to drive continuous improvement in key metric's in alignment with Lean, 6 Sigma, Design Robustness Principles and A3 Problem Solving Principles. Incumbent may be a member of several project teams working with Manufacturing Engineering, Product Lifecycle Engineering, Q.A. R&D, Service and Continuous Improvement.
- Significantly contribute to product and process design initiatives through all design stage phases (problem definition, containment, setting target condition, root cause, solution design, validation, implementation, monitoring on the production floor).
- Participate in the continuous development of the quality system, including standard operating procedures (SOP's), workflow development, product and process validations coupled with the ability to write concise technical reports.
- Support new product introduction and technology transfer initiatives from design through to maturation of product and process. Familiar with Product Lifecycle Management control systems for configuration control.
- Must have the ability to lead and mentor Engineers and provide technical leadership to problem solving and demonstrate ownership.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant technical discipline (Mechanical, Mechatronic, Med Engineering) with 8 years relevant engineering experience. Bachelor's degree in alternative disciplines will be considered if balanced by relevant engineering experience.
- Very Strong Mechanical / Electro mechanical / systems design skills for both products and manufacturing fixtures.
- Structured analysis skills with experience in complex technical trouble shooting.
- Excellent communications skills- written and verbal skills are required.
- Practical experience of supplier or manufacturing fabrication processes is desirable.
- Some experience in modern world class manufacturing disciplines (lean, six-sigma, DOE) desirable.
For more info, contact Emma Mullen on 087 636 9263 or email